Am I being called?
- Desire to deepen your relationship with God?
- Recognize yourself in our Martha Charism of Gospel Hospitality and are interested in living out our mission?
- Desire to live community?
- A 25-50-year-old single woman with no responsibility for minor children?
- An active member of the Catholic Church?
- In good physical and mental health?
How do I know if God is calling me?
SEEK OUT A SPIRITUAL GUIDE OR MENTOR AND STEP INTO DISCERNMENT:
- Pray for guidance
- Listen to your heart
- Be open to God's will for you
- Know your values
- Be in touch with your desires
- Name your fears
- Pay attention to your past experiences
- Talk with others who know you well
- Gather information
- Make a list of advantages and disadvantages
- Decide and trust in God
- Are your free in your decision?
- Are you at peace?
- How does it feel "deep down"?
- Look for confirmation for your decision
Source: Stepping into Discernment Card, NAVFD
Becoming a Vowed Member: Building Relationship with Us
Inquiry and Contact
To begin the Martha Journey with us contact Sr. Joanne O'Regan at email@example.com.
There are two phases to the Pre-Novitiate, formal and informal.
Informal: A time to get to know each other and build mutuality and relationship. This time includes the following activities:
- Spiritual direction
- Faith development
- Reflection on Ministry
- Regular meeting with a Martha Companion
Formal : A time to further deepen the relationship with the Marthas in the context of a Martha Community (at least nine months). This time includes the following activities:
- Living and participating in a community of Marthas
- Entering into service, including paid part-time work
- Opportunities to deepen mutuality and relationship with the Marthas
- Introduction to others seeking to enter a Congregation within the Sisters of Charity Federation
A time to deepen the process of initiation into religious life as a Sister of St. Martha under the guidance of the Director, Novitiate Process. This two-year process includes the following:
During Year 1:
- There is more intense time and opportunity for the novice to deepen her life through understanding and integration of:
- Prayer, reflection, and apostolic spirituality,
- Religious vowed life as a radical and prophetic way of Gospel living,
- The charism, history, spirituality, Constitutions and Directives in the context of Christ’s life and mission and in relationship with the Sisters of St. Martha,
- Experiences in collaborative formation programs with the Sisters of Charity Federation.
- The novice continues to discern her call to be a contemplative in action as a Sister of St. Martha.
During Year 2:
- The novice continues to integrate her life of prayer, community, vows and ministry.
- She continues to deepen her living and understanding of religious life as prophetic witness to Christ.
- She continues to deepen her understanding and connection within the Sisters of Charity Federation through collaborative programs and experiences.
- She enters a more intense preparation for First Commitment of Vows if mutual discernment leads in this direction.
A time of 3-5 years in duration of continued immersion and integration into the life, mission, and spirit of the Sisters of St. Martha. Activities include:
- Time of discernment by the Sister and the Congregation.
- Entering into service and/or study in preparation for service.
- Continued collaboration and deepening of relationship with the Federation.
- Theological studies.
One year prior to perpetual profession, following a formal request, the Sister enters a more intense period of preparation.
A time when you dedicate your entire life to God and God’s people through the ministry of Gospel Hospitality as a member to the Sisters of St. Martha, praying always for the Grace to live this.